martes, 3 de junio de 2008

Immortal Beloved

"My angel, my all, my very self...
Only a few words today and at that with pencil (with yours)[...]
what a useless waste of time - What this deep sorrow when necessity speaks - can our love endure except through sacrifices, through not demanding everything from one another; can you change the fact that you are not wholly mine, I not wholly thine - Oh God, look out into the beauties of nature and comfort your heart with that which must be - Love demands everything and very justly.[...]

Though still in bed, my thoughts go out to you, my Immortal Beloved, now and then joyfully, then sadly, waiting to learn whether or not fate will hear us - I can live only wholly with you or not at all. Yes, I am resolved to wander so long away from you until I can fly to your arms and say that I am really at home with you, and can send my soul enwrapped in you into the land of spirits - Yes, unhappily it must be so - You will be more contained since you know my fidelity to you. No one else can ever posses my heart - never - never - Oh God, why must one be parted from one whom one so loves? [...]
Be calm, only by calm consideration of our existence can we achieve our purpose to live together...
Be calm.
Love me today.
Yesterday.
What tearful longings to you
you
you
my life
my all...
farewell.
Oh, continue to love me, never misjudge the most faithful heart of your beloved...
ever thine
ever mine
ever ours."

Ludwig van Beethoven, circa 1812.



1 comentario:

unefille dijo...

I sense so much deepness in your writing that makes it overwhelming. I wonder after all these years, if you are still there, do you feel the same? was the world what you expected? was love exactly as you described it so many years ago? What you write made me think of the past me. I felt quite similar but not anymore. Love wears out too I think. I don't think I will be able to feel as passionately as some years ago. Love dies along with imagination.